These healthy muffins are as light, fluffy and delicious as their coffee shop counterparts. Tip: measure your pumpkin purée by packing it into a dry measuring cup and leveling the top, instead of using a liquid measuring cup.
Author: Cookie and Kate
Recipe type: Baked Good
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 23 mins
Total time: 33 mins
Serves: 10 muffins
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 eggs*, at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (Example: almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice or cloves
- 1 - 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius). If necessary, grease ten cups of your muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup or honey together with a whisk. Add eggs, and beat well. Mix in the pumpkin purée and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice or cloves.
- Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. If you’d like to add any additional mix-ins, like nuts, chocolate or dried fruit, fold them in now.
- Divide the batter evenly between the ten muffin cups. For these muffins, it’s ok to fill the cups a little higher than you normally would.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a small amount of oats, followed by a sprinkle of cinnamon. Bake muffins for 23 to 26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack. These muffins are delicate until they cool down, so it’s best to wait until they have cooled down to remove them from the tin. You might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan. Enjoy muffins as is or with a spread of nut butter or regular butter.